South Farm Lake
- DNR Lake No. 380778
- Lake Map No. N/A
- Lake Table No. 6B
- MDH Fish
Consumption Advisory - N/A
- MPCA Water
Quality - N/A
Full image approximately 2
South Farm is an arm of Farm Lake which
extends over the boundary into the BWCAW, 18½ miles WNW of
Forest Center, and 6 miles east of Ely. South Farm is a lake where
motors up to 25HP are permitted and the motorboats do have easy access,
through the channel to Farm Lake outside the wilderness area. South
Farm is connected to the Kawishiwi River through Farm, which is on the Kawishiwi.
There are no established portages out of South Farm.
Field research by Heinselman
suggests that the forests surrounding South Farm were probably made up
of stands of Red and White
Pine dating back to 1796 and earlier, before being logged off (1898-1912)
by the St. Croix Lumber Company of Winton. The area is now largely
second growth forest. The
Independence Day windstorms of 1999 did no significant damage in the South
South Farm supports two established campsites,
both on the western side, on either shore of the channel into Farm.
They probably function primarily to provide a "wilderness experience" to
visitors from Farm Lake and the Ely area.
South Farm provides excellent access to
heavily developed and motorized Farm Lake. It does not provide access
to other destinations within the BWCAW except the North Kawishiwi River,
which can only be reached by way of Farm Lake (or by bashing through forest
for some 65 rods over the narrow neck of land separating South Farm from
the Kawishiwi). Can't really see why anyone traveling by canoe would
ever want to have anything to do with South Farm.
South Farm supports populations of Black
Crappie, Bluegill, Golden Shiner, Northern Pike, Painted Turtle, Rock Bass,
Smallmouth Bass, Tullibee (Cisco), Walleye, White Sucker, and Yellow Perch.
Notes and Comments
South Farm is by law a part of the BWCAW
but is not so in spirit.
Last updated on
11 April, 2004